Coast Cottages  
  Home_ Cottages _ Availability _ Attractions _ Doggy Gallery _ Wildlife Shelter _ Mammal List _ Bird List _ FAQs _ Testimonials _ Maps _ Contact  

Wildlife Shelter - Friends we have helped
Swamp Wallabies
Fern, a female wallaby joey came into care after her mother was hit and killed by a car on the Great Ocean Road just 2 kms from Seatrees Farm. Her fur was just coming through and she needed to be kept in a temperature controlled, warm pouch. She had to be fed on a special milk formula 5 times a day including a 3am feed. She has grown into a fine wallaby and has successfully been released back into the wild after 10 months in care.
Doze the baby Koala was found surrounded by a ring of tourists as he nibbled on a blue gum sapling that overhung The Great Ocean Road. He should have been up a high tree with his mother, as he still needed to be fed milk on a constant basis.He has a gentle and loveable nature and was particularly fond of tummy tickles after he had finished his bottle. He also had to be fed large quantities of fresh leaves daily. He was released at Seatrees Farm in a spot that features a wonderful stand of swamp gum.


This male juvenile platypus was found by some young tourists, wandering along a road, disorientated with a cut above his eye. There was no water nearby and the likely scenario was that he had been injured during a territorial fight. He was a quite dazed and was looking for a safe waterway of his own. His eye cut was treated and after a days rest he was joyfully to be released at Lake Elizabeth in Forrest.


Sugar Gliders
Bindi, the sugar glider, was orphaned when the owners of a house destroyed what they thoughts were rats in their roof. The parent sugar gliders fled leaving behind Bindi and his sister. The sister died before she reached care but Bindi only weighing a mere 30 gms fought until he was grown and ready for release back into the wild many months later. He was last sighted with a female sugar glider in tow.
Another two sugar gliders came into care with the Grampian Fires in 2006. Sooty and Smokey were found at the base of a burnt out tree sitting in ash by a fireman. Their parents probably had no option but to flee the flames and they being too tiny were left behind. They smelt of smoke for at least 3 weeks after coming into care. Both had to be treated with antibiotics for smoke inhalation and their eyes were also smoke infected. Both joeys remarkably survived and after months in care they were successfully released together back into the wild.
Ringtail Possums
Bunty came into care as a very tiny, 40 grams orphan ringtail with a very slim chance of survival. She really was the cutest little girl with just a hint of fur starting to spike through her skin. She beat the odds with her determined character and charming personality. She really wanted to live. She was released at 9 months of age and still lives at Seatrees Farm and has successfully raised several joeys herself over a period of 4 years, including one set of triplets.

Bracken was my very fist orphaned possum to be taken into care. He weighed just 50 grams and required 6 feeds of special milk a day including a 3am feed. He was an extremely loveable little chap who would happily sit on your hand to feed. A special bond was developed over the three months he was in care and I loved him dearly. Sadly he died - believed to be from poorly developed kidneys. I was utterly heart broken but a part of a wildlife carer's job is to come to the realization that not all of those in care will make it. Bracken will always hold a special place in my heart.
Brushtail Possum
Taffy was an orphaned, brushtail possum with a lovely affectionate nature. He was found under a tree in a residential area. We endeavoured to reunite him with his mother the next night by taking him back to the same tree but there was with no sign of his mother, so he had to taken into care for 7 months. Brushtails are not indigenous to Seatrees Farm so he was released on a farm that abutts the Otway National Park and that has other brushtails living in the vicinity.
Eastern Grey Kangaroo
Mim, an Eastern Grey Kangaroo joey, came into care as a pinkie orphan - no hair and weighing only 630 gms. She needed around the clock feeding and a constantly monitored, temperature- controlled pouch with pristine hygiene conditions to have any chance of survival. After battling, she survived to 11 months of age when she unrepentantly contracted a Clostridium bacterium Infection. Losing her after so many months was extremely distressing and the grief and disappointment you feel is enormous.
The Echidnas we have cared for have all been victims of road accidents. This one had an injury to its beak that would have been life threatening if it had not been taken into care. Echidnas are difficult to house as they are great escape artists but this one, Charlie only needed rest, and a specially prepared diet until he was released back into the bush.
Exhausted or injured Seals are frequently seen on Apollo Bay beaches. These can be Australian Fur Seals, Elephant Seals or Leopard Seals. The majority come in just to rest or malt and will leave of their own accord. They are left on the beach but they need to be baby sat whilst on the beach to protect them from human, dog and fox interference. This requires us to organise a volunteer seal-sitting timetable. Some stay for a day and others for several weeks. It's a wonderful feeling to see them return to the water and swim off safely once they have rested.